You are invited to join President Freeman Hrabowski, Governor Martin O’Malley and the UMBC community on Wednesday, September 19 as we celebrate the opening of the first phase of UMBC’s Performing Arts and Humanities Building.
Phase One Ribbon Cutting and Phase Two Groundbreaking Ceremony with Governor Martin O’Malley
Performing Arts and Humanities Building Entrance
Arts and Humanities Festival
Featuring food trucks, UMBC student groups and community performers, and a jazz concert with Lafayette Gilchrist ’92, Africana Studies.
Performing Arts and Humanities Building Grounds
UMBC and the Greater Baltimore Cultural Alliance Present: New Space
Leaders breaking fresh ground in the region’s cultural land- scape reveal the physical, conceptual, and virtual spaces that motivate their work, answering the question: How do new spaces inspire us to think, create and engage in expected and unexpected ways?
A limited number of free tickets will be available at the door.
New Space Presenters:
- Wendy Salkind, UMBC Theatre & Jessica Berman, UMBC English
- Fred Lazarus, MICA & Tim Nohe, UMBC Visual Arts
- Vincent Lancisi, Everyman Theatre & David Mitchell, Arena Players
- Doreen Bolger, BMA & George Ciscle, founder, The Contemporary
- Liz Lerman, Choreographer & Sharayna Christmas Rose, Muse 360
- Kalima Young, The Baltimore Art + Justice Project & Nicole King, UMBC American Studies
- Marvin Pinkert, Jewish Museum of Maryland & Kevin Griffin Moreno ‘95, Full Circle Storytelling
Moderator: Tom Hall, Baltimore Choral Arts Society & WYPR Radio Host
Tours of the building
Inaugural Lecture: The Humanities Forum Presents “The Humanities, Without Apology,” featuring Pauline Yu, President of the American Council of Learned Societies
Proscenium Theatre, followed by dessert reception in PAHB Lobby
Students, faculty, and staff can pick up free tickets at The Commons information desk until September 18. Tickets will also be available at the door.
(See separate calendar listing for additional details.)
WYPR is an official media sponsor of this event.
Open Year Round: