Metallaxis: Transforming the Sound of the Wind Quintet presented by District5 (Laura Kaufman, flute; Alison Lowell, oboe; Eddie Rumzis, bassoon; Nina Elhassan, clarinet; Laura Brisson, horn) features:
- Transcendental Étude No. 5 “Feux Follets” — Franz Liszt (transcribed by David Plylar)
- Kleine Kammermusik, Op.5, No. 2 — Paul Hindemith
- Wind Quintet — Isang Yun
- Giga, Bolero e Variazione Mozart Study — Ferruccio Busoni (transcribed by David Plylar)
- Woodwind Quintet — Elliott Carter
- Metallaxis — Evis Sammoutis
Specializing in contemporary works and original transcriptions, District5 Quintet’s immersive and dramatic shows depart from the standard concert format. With the United States premiere of Karlheinz Stockhausen’s ROTARY Woodwind Quintet already to their credit, this emerging wind quintet is building a reputation for unique and innovative performances. Recent performance venues include The Barns at Wolf Trap, the Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet, and the LeDroit Chamber. District5 has been presented by the Kent Chamber Series, Capital Fringe: Music in the Library, the Washington Arts Club, NextNOW Fest, Common Tone, and the Riversdale Mansion Chamber Music Society. The quintet was a finalist in the Savvy Musician In ACTION Chamber Competition in June 2015 and was previously the Fellowship ensemble at the University of Maryland from 2013-2015.
This event is free and open to the public.
Open Year Round: