Corrie Parks, Fluid Frames
Special Book Launch and Screening Event
Thursday, November 3, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.,
Reception to follow
132, Performing Arts & Humanities Building
CIRCA Presents Visual Arts professor Corrie Francis Parks as she launches her new book Fluid Frames: Experimental Animation with Sand, Clay, Paint, and Pixels at UMBC. Accompanying the book launch is a screening of experimental animation, which is a centerpiece to the publication.
Parks presents a collection of international short films from contemporary animators featured in the book. Created with wet paint, sand, clay, and charcoal, these films dazzle the eye with light, color, and texture, connecting the physical materials to the narrative and visual trajectory of each film. These artists revel in the process of animation as much as the end goal of the audience’s journey, leaving a memorable impact on not only our perception, but our deeper sensibilities. Q&A with the author and a reception will follow the screening.
- Norman – Robbe Vervaeke – (Belgium, 10:00) – paint on glass
- Tunnel – Maryam Kashkoolinia – (Iran, 7:20) – sand
- Night Weaver – Joan Gratz – (USA, 6:00) – clay painting
- The Well – Philippe Vaucher – (Canada, 12:10) – salt
- A Tangled Tale – Corrie Francis Parks – (USA, 5:30) – sand
- Ballad of Holland Island House – Lynn Tomlinson (USA, 4:19) – clay painting
- Spring – Xin Li (Australia, 3:40) – paint on glass
- Signum – Witold Giersz (Poland, 14:00) – progressive drawing
CIRCA Presents is a series championing important new work in the performing and visual arts. As UMBC celebrates its 50th anniversary CIRCA will highlight the accomplishments of exceptional Visual and Performing Arts faculty and alumni. A reception, with vegetarian options, will be provided by CIRCA.
Open Year Round: